Economic Advisory - Regulatory Executive
Economic Advisory – Regulatory Executive (Senior Consultant)
We are looking for experienced candidates with 2+ years of relevant experience for roles at Executive level, with a focus on regulatory.
Summary of role
Our world is changing at a faster rate than at any time in history. Our view of what matters and how success is measured is becoming a blend of economic, social and environmental factors. This has changed the demands from our clients and our economics team is at the forefront of this transformation. We are seeking talented and motivated people who are creative thinkers, analysts and problems solvers to join our Economic Advisory team with opportunities in our Dublin, Cork and Belfast offices.
Covid-19 and geopolitical events have triggered unprecedented disruption in the world and the economy. More than ever before, Economics is at the heart of policy and decision-making. In a nutshell, it has never been a more exciting time to be an economist and make a real difference!
We are looking for someone to join our dynamic team with a focus on regulatory. Our regulatory team works on projects across the island advising regulators, regulated entities and Government. We are passionate about developing economic analysis and advice to support the regulatory process.
Over the past year, we have successfully helped clients answer critical questions such as:
- Does the current approach to electricity network connection charging need to change to encourage uptake of low carbon technologies such as electric vehicles and heat pumps?
- How can we best achieve a secure electricity network with sufficient generation capacity to supply Irish consumers?
- What financial penalty framework would be most effective from deterring non-compliance?
- How has the Covid 19 pandemic and current supply chain issues affected the price control process for network utilities?
- Does investment in electricity networks to enable the energy transition to deliver a positive net benefit to consumers and the economy?
- Which infrastructure option would result in water demand being met in the most beneficial way to the economy and to society?
Successful applicants will work across a range of regulatory engagements across sectors such as energy, telecoms, water and aviation. We are proud to be a diverse and multi-disciplinary team working with clients across the island. We welcome fresh ideas and new areas of focus and encourage candidates to apply who feel they have new areas of economic expertise to bring to the team.
Our economics team makes a significant contribution to EY’s commitment of building a better working world through the work we do for our clients, the office of the Chief Economist and our thought leadership publications. Our team strives to ask better questions and answer them in innovative ways and, as such, the economics team works closely with teams across EY to enhance our offering. All of our Economics team will have the opportunity to help with this societal contribution and to bring challenge and new thinking to the marketplace.
EY offers a well-developed training plan through structured training, on the job learning and the EY badges programme (in partnership with Udemy). We also have a mentor programme in place in which a senior member of staff will be responsible for helping you with your career and learning development. EY has a clear path for progression for all staff and would welcome ambitious applicants to apply to build your career within the economics team.
EY Hybrid has been launched with the intention of a mix between home and office-based locations for employees. EY offers a flexible working environment and intends to continue to do so post-Covid.
- Research and interpret economic data on publicly available sources as well as economic databases
- Review international regulatory precedent such as previous price control determinations and summarise key developments
- Undertake economic analysis as part of client engagements
- Prepare and present clear reports to support these analyses and solutions
- Manage your time across multiple projects and communicate clearly and efficiently with your Manager
- Train junior members of staff
- Proactively manage own career path and development
- Demonstrate enthusiasm and willingness to learn
Executive posts are full-time permanent positions and are not subject to a training contract. There is no requirement to complete accountancy (ACCA/ACA) or Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) exams, though this can be considered if candidates wish to pursue accreditation.
Suitable applicants will have a passion for economics, specifically for regulatory economics, and good attention to detail, with a relevant undergraduate degree in economics, politics, business, social sciences, engineering or related subject with sufficient economic or regulatory content. Candidates should have 2+ years of relevant experience in regulatory economics or a similar role.
Suitable applicants will be able to demonstrate the following skills:
- A keen interest in the regulation of energy, water, telecoms, aviation or other sectors
- An understanding of the principles of regulatory economics, regulatory finance/accounting and/or econometrics
- Experience of applying economic theory to the development and evaluation of public and regulatory policy, particularly in our target sectors
- Strong analytical and written skills
- Strong personal and communications skills with evidence of working effectively in a team setting
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to explain complex technical issues to non-technical audience
- An ability to solve complex problems in a logical and structured manner
- Attention to detail, using data to support analysis
- A strong understanding of MS Office Platform, particularly Excel and PowerPoint
- Contributing pro-actively to building a positive team spirit
- Excellent time management skills
For this role, it would be advantageous to have:
- Master’s degree in economics, social sciences, engineering or other relevant field preferred
- Experience in designing or influencing economic regulation in areas such as: price control submission, preparation of regulatory consultation documentation or responses, regulatory tariff development, regulatory impact assessment, distribution analysis, cost benefit analysis, economic modelling, business case development, policy evaluation or Data Analytics
- Interest in identifying new areas of business development and innovative solutions to complex problem solving
- Experience in Regulatory, Strategy or Economic consulting
- Motivation to contribute to building an inclusive society and resilient economy
How to apply
To apply please send your CV and an accompanying cover letter setting out which role you are applying for, which office you would wish to be based in and why you feel you would be suitable for the role.
Closing date for applications is 06 May 2022.
Who we are
At EY we support you in achieving your unique potential both personally and professionally. We give you stretching and rewarding experiences that keep you motivated, working in an atmosphere of integrity and teaming with some of the world's most successful companies. And while we encourage you to take personal responsibility for your career, we support you in your professional development in every way we can. You enjoy the flexibility to devote time to what matters to you, in your business and personal lives. At EY you can be who you are and express your point of view, energy and enthusiasm, wherever you are in the world. It's how you make a difference.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.