Senior Business Advisor
Ideas| People| Trust
We’re BDO. An accountancy and business advisory firm, providing the advice and solutions businesses need to navigate today’s changing world.
We’ll broaden your horizons
BDO LLP is an accountancy and business advisory firm, we provide integrated advice and solutions to help businesses navigate a changing world. Our clients are Britain’s economic engine – ambitious, entrepreneurially-spirited and high growth businesses that fuel the economy.
We share our clients’ ambitions and their entrepreneurial mind-set. We have the right combination of global reach, integrity and expertise to help them succeed.
We’ll help you succeed
As a Business Advisor you will be required to work closely and support senior members of the team in the timely delivery of services.
You will work independently and be accountable for the delivery of projects to the manager or senior business advisor for review, frequently being the first point of contact for our clients throughout projects. In addition to accounting capabilities, you will have rounded business knowledge able to analyse client data, make recommendations and talk credibly to clients on the issues they face such as current trading position, future outlook and legislative changes
- Bookkeeping including preparing, processing and recording bank transactions, processing purchase, sales and general ledger entries for a wide variety of clients, including the group’s larger more complex clients
- Applies understanding of the client to ensure the transactions are recorded appropriately and make commercial sense, highlighting unusual transactions to senior members of the team for consideration
- Preparation of monthly/annual management accounts and statutory accounts with little supervision
- Completes month end close processes including bank recs, and posting of journals, accruals with supporting information
- Preparation of VAT returns spotting and flagging any issues to a manager
- Liaise with tax, payroll and other departments for client matters
- Applies accounting knowledge to identify areas where clients are not processing information efficiently or where performance is not in line with budgets or business plan
- Acts as first point of contact for client queries escalating as relevant
- Maintains and builds relationships with clients and ensure that all communications are conducted in a professional manner
- Builds trust and connect with clients and targets by listening and showing empathy and patience.
- Demonstrates a sound awareness of how businesses operate, the commercial environment and its impact on the client’s business.
- Understands how revenue, profit and cashflow is generated
- Aware of chargeable time and charge out rates, so that jobs are completed on a timely basis, within the budgets provided
- Trains junior members on accounts software and other processes critical to their current or future work
- Engages in networking and building internal and external relationships to identify new business and sales opportunities for new and existing clients.
- Ability to work to a project plan/work schedule to ensure work is completed in accordance with timelines and milestones that have been agreed with the client or internal teams
- Works efficiently and as part of a team to deliver work on a timely basis
- Results orientated
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Takes responsibility for own development by being self-motivated and taking all relevant opportunities to learn
- Adaptable and flexible working attitude
- Excellent client interacting and relationship building skills
- Good team member who can encourage and support others at all levels
- Ensure that the manager is kept up to date with progress reports and displays sound judgement on when to escalate
- Manages own workload in order to complete allocated tasks
- Delegates work to junior members and feedbacks to allow them to learn and develop
- Embraces change with an adaptable and flexible working attitude
When you join us, we’ll make your growth our priority. If you can demonstrate the following skills, we can help you go far. We’re looking for someone with:
- Qualified Accountant ACA, ACCA or equivalent
- Proven experience of statutory and management accounts
- Good VAT and Corporate tax knowledge
- Competent in the use of Microsoft Office and use of all standard in house packages
- Competent in the use of Caseware and other relevant accounts production software
- Solid bookkeeping skills and good working knowledge of Xero and other cloud accounting software
- Basic knowledge of the rules and regulations of doing business in the UK including reporting requirements, tax requirements
We’re in it together
At BDO, we believe that when our people feel valued and rewarded, their potential is unlimited. We offer highly competitive starting salaries and review renumeration packages regularly to ensure that our pay always positively reflects performance. As well offering support with tuition and professional qualifications, we also provide the following benefits, as standard:
- 25 days’ holiday;
- access to a personal pension scheme, with matched employer contributions;
- life assurance cover;
- and income protection insurance.
That’s not all. We understand that everyone is different so, we offer a range of voluntary benefits to suit every lifestyle. Our flexible benefits platform, Flexcel, means our people can choose from a range of tax efficient options to design a benefit package that best suits them. Through Flexcel, they can:
- buy up to ten days’ extra holiday;
- add on private medical, personal accident, dental insurance or travel insurance;
- enrol in our Bike to Work scheme;
- receive an interest free season ticket loan or interest free graduate loan;
- take an online health assessment and utilise our employee assistance programme.
Agile working at BDO (Workable)
- WORKABLE is our approach to making working at BDO work for everyone. It’s a framework – including policies, guidance, tools, resources, and support – that offers flexibility and choice around how, when and where we do our work. WORKABLE gives BDO people the freedom they need to be able to work at their best. Because sometimes, the hub is the best environment to get things done, and sometimes we’re more productive working from home: WORKABLE gives us that choice.
- We aim to offer you more choice and flexibility to plan around work and life, which can lead to improved wellbeing, access to more diverse projects and learning opportunities and increased job satisfaction.
We’re looking forward to the future
At BDO, we’re big enough to make the difference and collaborative enough to never lose sight of where we’re going. We know that it’s our people that make our success possible. Across our 17 UK locations, more than 6,000 of them work together to provide tax, audit, assurance and a range of advisory services that help our clients achieve their ambitious goals. Together, they're fuelling Britain’s economic engine. Behind every complex client challenge and every untapped innovation, they’re there: ensuring we continue to find the right combination of global reach, integrity and expertise. That’s why we’re always looking for ways to invest in our people. That means providing them with an environment where they can grow, learn, laugh and feel respected, at all times.
Are you ready to join them?
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.