Committee Specialist - Environmental Audit Committee
Job Title: Committee Specialist – Environmental Audit Committee
Salary: GBP36,500 per annum
Salary Band: B1
Contract Type: Permanent
Number of Posts: 1
Hours: 36 per week
Closing date: Midnight on 10 th September 2017
The Environmental Audit Committee is a cross–party select committee of 16 MPs. It scrutinises the Government's record on environmental protection and sustainable development. Its reports have covered topics ranging from microplastic pollution to flood prevention, climate change policy to environmental law after leaving the EU, soil health to the future of the Arctic.
As a specialist you will be part of a small team providing impartial research and policy support directly to the Chair and Committee. This includes:
- advising on possible subjects for inquiries,
- preparing briefing material and conducting analysis of submissions,
- attending and providing advice during Committee meetings,
- and drafting Committee reports.
It may also involve organising and attending Committee events and visits (possibly overseas).
Specialists are also expected to maintain up–to–date knowledge about the Committee's subject area by building relevant contacts and networks.
The successful candidate will have the following skills/experience:
- Up to date subject knowledge (or a demonstrable ability to acquire specialist knowledge) and the ability to rapidly acquire knowledge in sometimes unfamiliar areas relevant to the Committee.
- Ability to research and collate material from a range of sources and to analyse it to develop well argued, evidence–based conclusions.
- High–level written and oral communication skills, including the ability to explain complex information clearly, impartially and succinctly to a non–specialist audience.
- A 2:1 degree (or equivalent) or postgraduate qualification in a relevant subject, or significant work experience in a relevant policy/scrutiny environment.
- Annual leave starting at 28 days pro rata
- Interest–free season ticket loan
- Child care voucher scheme
- Discounted membership of the in–house gym
All applications must be submitted on a House of Commons application form.
More information on the role and the full criteria can be found on the job description.