Innovation Reliefs Associate / Assistant Manager - Software Specialist
Leicester, Leicestershire, United Kingdom; Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom; Brentwood, Essex, United Kingdom; Bristol, Bristol, United Kingdom; Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, United Kingdom; Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom; Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom; Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
About the firm and department
As one of the world’s largest networks of audit, tax and consulting firms, RSM will help you reach your full potential. Our Innovation Reliefs Team works with a range of companies, from start-ups to multinationals, to assist them in the preparation of claims for Research & Development tax relief.
The team has experienced rapid growth over the past years and is now looking to further grow the team to support the continued opportunities. We work with companies across all sectors, most notably manufacturing, engineering, life sciences, software and digital technologies to assist them to identify and prepare successful tax relief claims. The variety of projects and impressive client list will challenge you every day, helping you expand your capabilities and grow professionally. Further to this, with access to a global team that spans more than 120 countries, you’ll have plenty of opportunity to broaden your horizons. Discover a culture that nurtures individuality and celebrates fresh thinking!
About the job
An exciting opportunity to work in an actively growing, specialist Innovation Reliefs tax team at RSM within the Central Region, you can be based near any one of the following offices: Birmingham, Leicester, Nottingham, Cambridge, Bury St Edmunds, Bristol, Milton Keynes or Brentwood. The role involves working directly with the IT specialists in many different businesses who are at the forefront of their technology, whilst also experiencing a role in a global professional services firm.
We are looking for a software specialist to work within our existing Innovation Reliefs team to help our clients claim R&D incentives. The existing team is very experienced in these tax reliefs, but would benefit from more specialist input for claims in software / IT.
- Supporting R&D engagements including cost monitoring and billing, risk procedures, deliverables, and client relationships.
- Meeting with clients and potential clients across the region to explain our services.
- Determining an appropriate scope of work and budget for each client and assisting with the fee quote.
- Inputting on claim methodologies development and supporting the preparation of R&D tax relief claims for submission to HMRC.
- Coordinating and attending interviews with clients’ technical and finance teams to advise on the R&D tax relief and to assist with identification of qualifying R&D activities and expenditure.
- Writing technical descriptions of the client’s projects to include in the reports to be sent to HMRC, and also editing client drafted technical descriptions, highlighted areas for improvement and suggested changes.
- Preparing robust costing and technological documentation to support the R&D claims based on the UK BIS guidelines and CIRD manual.
- Liaising with colleagues across other Taxes to build an internal network.
- Supporting with the identification of opportunities and pitching for work with both new and existing clients.
- Assisting the preparation of documentation and liaison with HMRC in response to enquiries into R&D Tax claims.
- Acting as a point of contact on specific R&D projects for any queries from the business.
- Ensuring tax quality at all times by adhering to the firm’s quality standards.
- Ensuring that the R&D engagement team are fully updated on progress and any issues that might affect the client relationship.
- Communicating confidently and knowledgably with senior colleagues within the National Innovation Relief’s team.
- Perceiving the needs and concerns of clients and adapting approaches to meet these needs, whilst maintaining effective and professional working relationships with key client personnel.
- Maintaining an awareness of the firm’s specialist services and publications, ensuring added value to clients and identify opportunities for other services lines.
About the ideal candidate
- Computer Science (or similar) degree or post graduate qualification.
- Prior experience working in the software / IT industry.
- Good level of tax technical knowledge of the UK’s R&D tax incentives.
- Experience in preparing and submitting R&D tax relief claims in the sector.
- Part- or full-qualified in a relevant professional qualification, for example CA, ACA and/or CTA.
- Knowledge of different claim methodologies, especially any industry specific challenges, over a broad range of industries.
- Ability to make claims within SME and RDEC regimes, and capability to assess group size.
- Proven experience in client handling and managing a busy portfolio.
- Excellent communication skills in a range of situations both written and oral.
- Demonstrates an understanding of wider business and economic issues.
At RSM we work hard to create an environment where our people can make a difference - to themselves, their career, their teams, and to the success of our firm and clients. We support all our people to work flexibly, to manage their family and other responsibilities alongside their work commitments; we believe this is key to achieving an inspiring and fulfilling working environment.
Diversity and inclusion at RSM
At RSM, inclusion and diversity are central to our values. We have an authentic focus on intentional inclusion, enabling our people to feel they can bring their whole self to work and ensuring everyone feels supported, respected and confident to make a valuable contribution.
To find out more, please visit our Diversity and Inclusion page on our Careers Website.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.