Senior Indirect Tax Specialist
About Northern Trust:
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With 130 years of financial experience and nearly 20,000 partners, we serve the world’s most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
As a Northern Trust employee (Partner), you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve.
Northern Trust is committed to working with and providing adjustments to individuals with health conditions and disabilities. If you would benefit from adjustments for any part of the employment process, please inform the recruiter to discuss your individual requirements.
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why Forbes ranked us the top employer for Diversity in 2018.
About the Role:
This new role, based in London, will report to the Indirect Tax Manager, EMEA. The role will support the Indirect Tax Manager on a wide range of indirect tax matters across the EMEA region. The candidate will work with the whole of the EMEA Indirect Tax team
The key responsibilities of the role include:
- Preparation or review of the EMEA VAT returns, ECSLs and annual adjustments;
- Contribute to improvement of effective and efficient indirect tax processes and controls and maintaining relevant documentation;
- Providing support to finance in relation to indirect tax matters including accounts payable, fees and local finance teams;
- Review of monthly VAT balance sheet reconciliations, journals and maintaining relevant provisioning;
- Providing support to the forecasting teams in relation to VAT expense;
- Maintain VAT compliance/general ledger software for changes in business, legislation and recovery methodologies;
- Providing indirect tax support to the Indirect Tax Manager and Head of Tax, EMEA on transactions, projects and business led initiatives;
- Advising on the VAT liability of new products and intercompany services;
- Maintain relationships and coordinate with external advisers; and
- Preparation and delivery of VAT training to team members in Manila and wider business areas.
Knowledge / Skills:
- Several years of relevant professional experience in UK or EU VAT compliance, either in industry or professional services organisation;
- Financial services experience would be an advantage but not essential;
- Knowledge of general ledger, accounts payable and VAT reporting solutions (experience of GITC would be an advantage but not essential);
- Excellent organisational skills;
- Strong analytical and Microsoft Excel skills;
- Strong communication skills to communicate, collaborate and consult with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders; and
- Ability to operate independently while being open to and helping drive continual growth and improvement.
- Professional tax or accounting qualification or relevant experience;
- Detail-oriented individual who is self-motivated, hands on and takes ownership of compliance processes; and
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively across cross-functional teams and partner with people at all levels within the organisation, including coaching of junior staff.
Working with Us:
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world’s most admired and ethical companies. In return, we will support you with your personal and career goals in a number of ways:
Financial – Life Assurance, Disability Plan, Pension/ Gratuity, Annual Pay Review
Work Life Balance – Flexible Work Options, Incremental Annual Leave, Community Volunteer Days
Health & Wellbeing – Private Medical Insurance (REMOVE FOR LUX POSTINGS), Active Sports & Social clubs (lunchtime and after-work groups), Employee Assistance Program
Professional Development – Clear Career Path, Education Assistance, Recognition Programme, NT University (wide range of online, virtual & in-house training options) and employee-led Business Resource Councils dedicated to diversity and inclusion initiatives.
We hope you’re excited about the role and the opportunity to work with us.
We value an inclusive workplace and understand flexibility means different things to different people.
Apply today and talk to us about your flexible working requirements and together we can achieve greater
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.