Overall job purpose
This exciting role is to join the Accounting and Business Advisory (ABA) team in the London region. The ABA team is split into two specialist sub-teams - Accounting, Insight and Advisory (AIA) and Accounting and Financial Reporting (AFR).
The role is for an Associate Director in one of our teams. The teams are responsible for the preparation of accounts for clients at all levels from large corporates to SME’s, in advance of audit and therefore a strong understanding of Financial Reporting Standards, LLP SORP and UK GAAP is essential.
It is an exciting time to join the team as our work with clients becomes increasingly digital. A part of the role is bringing RSM’s new digital solutions to market and our client base. Our digital platforms provide the bedrock of providing meaningful insight and advisory work to our clients.
The Associate Director will act as the lead across a portfolio of clients with responsibility for client service and quality of work. You are expected to act as the key client contact and delegate work into the team. The role is a senior position within the leadership team, contributing to the smooth running of the department. A fundamental element of the role is the active coaching and development of the more junior members of the team.
You will be required to profitably manage a portfolio of clients, working with a team of staff to ensure the highest possible standards of client service at all times and to take an active role in the growth of the region through identification of opportunities and involvement in the business development process. An Associate Director will be given the time, coaching and support to grow the firm through identifying opportunities, introducing new clients and participating in broader multi-service line pitches.
The successful candidate will be qualified either as ACA or ACCA and be able to demonstrate good experience in financial reporting.
RSM is the market leader to mid-market clients and the development of our people is fundamental to RSM. The opportunity for further progression with the firm exists if a successful candidate can demonstrate their talent, potential and a desire to participate in RSM’s leadership development programmes.
- To lead the delivery of accounting and financial reporting services on a portfolio of clients. To work alongside other service lines such as Audit and Tax and report into the client relationship Partner on matters of additional advisory and client care. Expected to practice the principles of excellent client service at all times.
- To manage the working capital of the above projects including budgeting, cost management, billing and debt recoverability. To ensure resource is planned effectively and team members are briefed appropriately to deliver projects to clients in line with RSM’s quality guidelines and procedures.
- To maintain and develop client relationships.
- To act as a senior team member and leader in the team. An Associate Director is a senior member of the management team and is expected to act as a role-model in their approach and actions for more junior managers.
- To actively coach and develop our team. This includes acting as a line manager, mentor and performing job appraisals.
- To actively participate in business development. An Associate Director is expected to contribute to growing the department and the firm by participating in targeting and lead generation, supporting proposals to new clients and agreeing projects with the firm’s existing clients.
- To develop a detailed knowledge of the firm’s specialist services, actively look for opportunities to cross sell and to undertake special work in response to client needs where appropriate.
- To develop and maintain an advanced level of technical knowledge through appropriate reading and courses, and to fulfil the Institute’s CPD requirements.
- To oversee and review work completed by managers, supervisors and assistants. To ensure firm policy and procedures are followed.
- Maintain an awareness and observation of Health & Safety issues within the Firm and report any concerns to the Health and Safety Representative.
- Carry out any other duties as are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job, the title of the role and its grading, as requested.
Personal and professional qualities
The role requires:
- ACA/ACCA Qualified - ability to read and interpret accounting standards and apply them to commercial situations.
- Candidates should have a minimum of four years of experience at a manager level or above.
- Excellent communication skills with proven experience of building lasting client relationships.
- Experience with the preparation and review of consolidated accounts and cash flows.
- An adaptable and collaborative team player able to work at all levels from trainee to Partner. Advanced coaching and development skills. Experience as a line manager.
- The ability and talent to make a positive contribution through business development. Candidates presenting themselves for interview are expected to discuss their initial thoughts about how they might approach this area in their role at RSM.
- Good leadership skills
- Ability to demonstrate commercial awareness and add value
- Excellent proficiency in MS Office products including MS Word and MS Excel.
- Ability to deliver results autonomously – a “self-starter”
At RSM we work hard to create an environment where our people can make a difference - to themselves, their career, their teams, and to the success of our firm and clients. We support all our people to work flexibly, to manage their family and other responsibilities alongside their work commitments; we believe this is key to achieving an inspiring and fulfilling working environment.
Diversity and Inclusion at RSM
At RSM, inclusion and diversity are central to our values. We have an authentic focus on intentional inclusion, enabling our people to feel they can bring their whole self to work and ensuring everyone feels supported, respected and confident to make a valuable contribution.
To find out more, please visit our Diversity and Inclusion page on our Careers Website.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.