FX Controller - Director
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries. As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success.
The Finance Division globally reports to the Chief Financial Officer and consists of some 3,000 employees worldwide. Finance protects the Morgan Stanley franchise by serving as guardian of the Firm’s books and records, and by contributing to firm wide risk management and risk reduction. This division maintains relationships with Morgan Stanley’s various industry and government regulators, and also serves as the conduit of financial information to the outside investment community. Finance plays a critical role as advisor to Morgan Stanley’s various businesses and its senior management team.
Global Corporate Controllers is responsible for the financial and regulatory reporting of the consolidated Firm and its legal entities, liquidity and funding control, accounting and regulatory policy and advisory, controllership of the Firm’s infrastructure areas and management the Finance risk and change programs.
The FX Controllers team is responsible for managing global foreign exchange exposure, at an entity level, arising from trading and non-trading activities across the Firm. Due to the significant risk to the Firm created by unhedged FX exposure, this team has a pivotal role in safeguarding the Firm’s assets. The teams primary objective is to minimize revaluation P&L (transactional risk).
The team performs a range of functions including processing and validating daily hedge requirements, daily P&L substantiation and reporting as well as month end reconciliation and control work. The team is also engaged in project and process improvement work in addition to ad hoc requests from the Corporate Treasury desk and various Controller groups. In this regard the team has considerable interaction with Product Controllers, IT, Tax, Legal Entity Controllers, Corporate Treasury and Treasury Controllers colleagues globally.
An opportunity has arisen for a permanent role within the team. The role will include the following involvement and responsibilities:
The role will include the following involvement and responsibilities:
- Reviewer and client point of contact for various daily deliverables including currency hedge instruction to Treasury, restricted currency exposure reporting and FX Revaluation P&L controls and reporting
- Contingent cover for production of daily deliverables
- Month end substantiation to ensure adequacy in 3Rs system for applicable Net Revenue and Balance Sheet Accounts
- Preparation of weekly and month end analytics and governance review packs
- Support Treasury and partner with various Controller groups to understand and resolve issues as well as provide advice and training related to currency risk management and associated accounting controls
- Support key renovation work and other initiatives to enhance processes and workflows
- Support infrastructure setup and account maintenance work including opening accounts and ensuring account attributes are appropriately setup to ensure balances feed through the hedging workflow correctly
This is not an exhaustive list of tasks, and responsibilities may change in line with the team and business needs.Qualifications:
- 5+ years industry experience with focus on Finance/Controller background
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Demonstrable leadership qualities with a strong work ethic and team player mentality
- Ability to plan and execute against tight timeframes
- Strong organizational skill and strategic thinking
- Analytical mind-set and good problem solving skills with a willingness to drill through to the root cause of issues
- Strong controls background with an ability to design, implement, enhance and monitor the effectiveness of existing or new controls
- Understanding of FX risk
- Qualified with relevant Professional Qualification (i.e. Accounting or CFA).
Preferable, but not required skills and experience:
- Hedge accounting familiarity
- FX forward and swaps product knowledge or background
- Treasury or Product Control experience
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.