Accounting Insight & Advisory Manager
Overall job purpose
This exciting role is to join the largest Accounting and Business Advisory (ABA) team in the North East, based in our Newcastle office. The ABA team is split into two specialist sub-teams - Accounting, Insight and Advisory (AIA) and Accounting and Financial Reporting (AFR).
The role is Manager or Assistant Manager in the Accounting, Insight and Advisory team. The opportunity exists for fast progression within the firm. An applicant to Assistant Manager role can work towards Manager upon joining the firm. RSM is the market leader to mid-market clients and a range of career and development opportunities exist for an applicant.
It is an exciting time to join the team as our work with clients becomes increasingly digital. A part of the role is bringing RSM’s new digital solutions to market and our client base. Our digital platforms provide the bedrock of providing meaningful insight and advisory to our clients. The ability to develop warm and strong personal relationships is key to this role. Key areas of client delivery are:
- The preparation of high quality year-end statutory accounts;
- Helping our clients leverage their cloud-based accounting platforms;
- The provision of insightful management information;
- Forecasting and cashflow projections using RSM’s approved software platforms; and
- The introduction of supplementary advisory and compliance services to our clients including Tax matters, global expansion, and corporate finance
RSM’s client base in this area is a mixture of businesses from corporates on 24-month runway towards audit, as well as established and exciting small businesses in the local market. Most RSM clients have international operations and exciting growth plans.
Both Manager and Assistant Manager will act as the lead across a portfolio of clients with responsibility for client service and quality of work. You are expected to act as the key client contact and delegate work into the team. The portfolio will be tailored around the individual’s skill set and interests. A Manager will typically have a larger portfolio reflecting the deeper experience required for this role. A fundamental element of both roles is the active coaching and development of the more junior members of the team.
The development of our people is a fundamental part of RSM. The opportunity for further progression within the firm exists if a successful candidate can demonstrate their talent, potential and a desire to participate in RSM’s leadership development programmes.
Manager and Assistant Manager Responsibilities
- To lead the delivery of accounting, insight and advisory services on a portfolio of clients. To work alongside other service lines such as Corporate Finance and Tax and report into the client relationship Partner on matters of additional advisory and client care. Expected to practice the principles of excellent client service at all times.
- To manage the working capital of the above projects including budgeting, cost management, billing and debt recoverability. To ensure resource is planned effectively and team members are briefed appropriately to deliver projects to clients inline with RSM’s quality guidelines and procedures.
- To actively coach and develop our team. This includes acting as a line manager, mentor and performing job appraisals.
- To develop and maintain an advanced level of technical knowledge through appropriate reading and courses, and to fulfil the Institute’s CPD requirements.
- To oversee and review work completed by managers, supervisors and assistants. To ensure firm policy and procedures are followed.
- Maintain an awareness and observation of Health & Safety issues within the Firm and report any concerns to the Health and Safety Representative.
- Carry out any other duties as are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job, the title of the role and its grading, as requested by the Office Managing Partner
Personal and professional qualities
The role requires:
- Candidates should be qualified or equivalent. Manager candidates should have a minimum of 18 months of year post qualified experience although we do recognise some high performers will be looking to progress earlier.
- Experience of managing a portfolio of client work within professional practice. It is expected that candidates may be transitioning from an audit role, which has many complementary skills. Strong project management skills are crucial.
- A strong accounting skillset is fundamental. A specialism in one or more of the following areas are highly desirable:
- Working experience of cloud-based accounting platforms;
- Experience with PowerBI;
- Experience with Data Analytics products and solutions;
- A strong understanding of Tax fundamentals; and
- Sector specialism, for example Technology, Manufacturing, Legal etc
- Excellent communication skills with proven experience of building lasting client relationships.
- An adaptable and collaborative team player able to work at all levels from trainee to Partner. Advanced coaching and development skills. Experience as a line manager.
- Excellent proficiency in MS Office products including MS Word and MS Excel.
- Ability to deliver results autonomously – a “self-starter”
At RSM we work hard to create an environment where our people can make a difference - to themselves, their career, their teams, and to the success of our firm and clients. We support all our people to work flexibly, to manage their family and other responsibilities alongside their work commitments; we believe this is key to achieving an inspiring and fulfilling working environment.
Diversity and Inclusion at RSM
At RSM, inclusion and diversity are central to our values. We have an authentic focus on intentional inclusion, enabling our people to feel they can bring their whole self to work and ensuring everyone feels supported, respected and confident to make a valuable contribution.
To find out more, please visit our Diversity and Inclusion page on our Careers Website.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.