Description of business unit
The Financial Planning & Analysis Department is a key management reporting function within W&I, supporting management decision, enablement of the divisions strategy and tax compliance/reporting. The tax responsibilities cover taxes borne and paid directly by New Ireland and other subsidiaries plus taxes collected on behalf of the Revenue Commissioners from policyholder payments.
The Financial Planning & Analysis Department team are responsible for monthly performance reporting to the BOI Group, New Ireland Board and W&I Management including periodic Board updates, input to QBR reporting, KPI reports, monthly cost management reporting and leading the forecasting and budget planning cycles.
Embedded within the Financial Planning & Analysis Department is the Tax team. The team is responsible for the tax compliance obligations across Ireland, United Kingdom, Netherlands and France in additional to various EU, OECD and US reporting obligations. In additional the function is responsible for the reporting of tax data for local statutory accounting purposes and for consolidation within the Bank of Ireland Group.
Purpose of the Role
Reporting to the Tax Manager for Wealth & Insurance, the role holder will have specific accountability for the management of both tax compliance and reporting. The company's operations are complex and, as a result, it has a range of tax obligations that it must comply with a number of tax heads.
In addition, the Company also has obligations in relation to the administration of the Irish, UK, and Dutch and French tax system. The Company has an array of arrangements and structures in place to lead these responsibilities so as to be satisfied that the tax affairs of the Company are appropriately governed and to promote a culture of tax compliance. In addition the division has a number of arrangements to ensure the Company can recognise and deal with tax implications of new products or transactions and changes to the tax environment.
- Ensure the Wealth & Insurance Senior Management Team, NIAC Board Audit Committee and BOI Group Tax receive comprehensive and timely updates on tax matters. Ensure adherence to the Bank of Ireland Group Tax Policy
- Preparation on a quarterly basis of the tax provisioning numbers for New Ireland Assurance Plc and subsidiaries.
- Preparation of various tax returns e.g. Corporation Tax, UK Non Resident Landlord Income Tax, VAT (both ROI and UK), Life Assurance Exit tax, Pension Levy and Premium Levy.
- Ability to lead and assess the implications of business decisions on the tax liability of New Ireland. Provide practical advice to the business on the impact of such decisions.
- Complete all Automotive Exchange of Information (AEOI) returns on behalf of New Ireland including CRS, Return of Payments and FATCA. Work with the business and project teams to ensure AEOI reporting is considered
- Establish strong collaborative relationships with the Revenue Commissioners, within the scope of the BOI Groups Cooperative Compliance Framework
- Providing advice on adhoc queries from the business, which includes researching the relevant topic and preparing the appropriate advice.
- Review changes in legislation, in particular after publication of the annual Budget and Finance Acts by the Department of Finance
- Active management of New Ireland Assurance's overseas tax charge with a view to minimising unrecoverable tax.
- Ensure all tax risks and controls are recorded on Radar.
- Ensure VAT recoverability and capital allowances for the business are maximised within the Bank of Ireland Group Tax Policy.
- Providing support on adhoc projects as required.
- Apply financial skills and business understanding to interpret, analyse and critically interrogate financial information, creating insights and solution-led outputs to enable the Wealth & Insurance Leadership Team to drive decisions and actions to achieve their overall business objectives.
- Embed a culture of continuous improvement throughout the Financial Planning & Analysis team and the wider Finance & Actuarial function, focussing on operational efficiency and creating organisational alignments.
What is the opportunity?
- This position is a professional tax role, which will be responsible for all key tax management reporting and compliance for the Wealth & Insurance division.
- This role provides an exciting opportunity to become a trusted advisor to the Head of Financial Planning and CFO providing relevant tax insights.
- As a finance professional within Wealth & Insurance, the role holder will also play an important role in contributing to the achievement of the overall Finance and Actuarial priorities and ways of working, aligning to our business strategy and the environment in which Wealth & Insurance operates.
Qualified Tax Professional with 3 years of relevant PQE or extensive experience gained within an insurance or relevant business environment.
Essential Skills & Experience
- Proven experience in a tax role.
- Qualified Tax professional or accountant.
- Detailed knowledge of tax legislation and current Revenue practices, with experience in life and pensions tax a distinct advantage.
- Understanding of systems and practices within the Revenue Commissioners.
- The ability to interpret and understand financial and business information and make the associated recommendations for action.
- Excellent numerical skills and interest in detailed work.
- Strong interpersonal (verbal and written) and organisational skills
- IT skills, particularly high level of proficiency in excel, including pivot tables
- Proven experience of leading priorities and delivery to tight deadlines
- A dedication to delivering a consistently high level of service and the ability to communicate with various service providers
Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- Strong communication skills and adept at establishing professional creditability at all levels in a multifaceted Group Structure.
- The role holder must have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to be proactive while leading multiple deliverables for key partners
- Excellent leadership skills, exemplifying the Group's values of being customer-centric, agile, accountable and being 'One Group One Team
- Customer Focused - Self
- Accountable - Self
- Amplify Capability - Self
- Manage Risk - Self
- Champion Transformation - Self
Where Agency assistance is required Bank of Ireland Recruitment Team will engage directly with suppliers. Unsolicited CVs / profiles supplied to Bank of Ireland by Recruitment Agencies will not be accepted for this role.
Bank of Ireland Group is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to fostering an inclusive workplace which values and benefits from the diversity of our workforce.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.