EMEA Tax Counsel, Business Unit Advisory - Vice President
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
The Business Unit Tax Advisory team within EMEA Tax provides advisory support and tax risk management to all EMEA-located business unit teams, to Human Resources and to Operations. The work of the team is extremely varied and provides exposure to the full range of Morgan Stanley services. The team’s clients are senior traders and bankers across all front office divisions in EMEA, including Institutional Equities, Fixed Income, Global Capital Markets and Investment Banking, as well as teams within Operations, Finance, Legal and HR. We provide tax analysis and advice related to transactions and business lines, structuring, tax audits and disputes, strategic initiatives and reputational tax risk issues. We work closely with external counsel from law firms and accounting firms in dozens of jurisdictions and regularly engage with HMRC and tax authorities across Europe.
Role description and responsibilities
This is a dynamic, business-facing role providing tax advisory support to the EMEA Institutional Securities front office. You will be the primary tax contact for business units located in Germany and will work together with the other members of the EMEA Tax Business Unit support team to provide advice across the whole of EMEA to Institutional Equities, Fixed Income, and Investment Banking business lines. You will:
- Work closely with a variety of business units to analyse cross border business activities to ensure withholding taxes, stamp taxes, capital gains and corporate/local taxes are managed within the risk limits of the firm
- Review and have sign off responsibility for new products developed by business units
- Take primary responsibility for approving tax language in transaction documentation across multiple jurisdictions
- Coordinate with other support disciplines (e.g. Legal, Accounting, Treasury, Operations) to ensure that tax provisions, policies, guidelines, etc. are understood and implemented appropriately and that other support functions are involved as necessary
- Manage key relationships with a network of external tax advisers in EMEA region to obtain advice, interpreting this for business units and using this to make sound business judgements in the management of tax risk
- Liaise with other Tax Department members both within the European tax function and in other worldwide locations
Skills and experience
- The successful candidate will be a qualified Tax Lawyer or Tax Accountant (or local law equivalent)
- Approximately 5 years post qualification Financial Services sector tax advisory experience, including international cross-border transactions involving liaising with overseas advisers
- Excellent academic qualifications
- This is a high profile and challenging role, which requires extremely proficient technical and analytical abilities, sound judgment, excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and a high level of personal commitment
- You will be self-motivated, innovative and able to work both autonomously and collaboratively with a wide variety of functional groups
- Attention to detail and time management are essential skills for this role. The candidate should have the flexibility required to work in a dynamic environment under tight deadlines, and effectively manage stakeholder expectations
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
Interested in flexible working opportunities? Morgan Stanley empowers employees to have greater freedom of choice through flexible working arrangements. Speak to our recruitment team to find out more.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.