Senior Consultant Risk- Data Privacy
About Northern Trust:
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With 130 years of financial experience and nearly 20,000 partners, we serve the world’s most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
As a Northern Trust employee (Partner), you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve.
Northern Trust is committed to working with and providing adjustments to individuals with health conditions and disabilities. If you would benefit from adjustments for any part of the employment process, please inform the recruiter to discuss your individual requirements.
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why Forbes ranked us the top employer for Diversity in 2018.
Global Privacy has a structured and risk based Programme designed to provide assurance to senior management, legal entity Boards and Risk Committees on compliance with their regulatory obligations.
The successful candidate will play a key role in delivering this programme of work in Ireland and supporting the wider objectives of the Global Privacy Office by performing a range of activities, including:
- Act as the local Data Privacy lead in Ireland and driving the implementation of the Northern Trust data protection initiatives across all Northern Trust legal entities in Ireland.
- Be the “Trusted Adviser”, embedding Privacy risk and compliance into day-to-day activities and keeping privacy risk management and compliance foremost in everything that we do.
- Liaise with Data Protection Regulators and Clients and present on Northern Trust’s Privacy Risk Program as needed.
- Provide “consultancy” type privacy risk service to the Business, offering pro-active, competent and pragmatic advice, interpretation and clarification on regulatory issues and formal training to all levels of Northern Trust staff.
- Undertake Privacy risk monitoring and testing, advising management of potential compliance problems and recommending procedural changes.
The key responsibilities of the role include:
- For assigned business units, provide risk challenge, advice and support on key developments during the year including regulatory engagement, business developments and emerging issues.
- Oversee the review, interpretation and dissemination of current and proposed laws and regulations for assigned Subject Matter Expert risk areas.
- Work closely with Global Privacy Operations and support others with less experience or knowledge of specific compliance topics to drive and sustain a culture of compliance.
- Represent Global Privacy in Ireland at Client Due Diligence reviews, ad hoc programmes and other internal/external forums.
- Provide regulator reports on Data Privacy Risk to Ireland legal entity Boards and Committees.
- Provide support to the Chief Privacy Officer & EMEA DPO on other Privacy risk reduction initiatives as directed.
- Develop creative ways for embedding Privacy risk into key operational processes, in a way that allows partners to clearly understand their compliance duties.
- Identify situations to strengthen the management of regulatory risk, including those outside of their assigned SME areas, and recommend plans to address these to the Chief Privacy Officer & EMEA DPO.
Privacy Risk Monitoring
- Work closely with Global Privacy Operations to execute, monitor and assess the adequacy and effectiveness of the measures, controls and procedures put in place by business units to address NT’s compliance with its regulatory obligations.
- Produce timely, accurate, concise and high quality reports.
Data Protection Subject Matter Expert
- Work with Global Privacy partners to drive the implementation of Data Privacy Programmes within Ireland, and supporting wider EMEA / global initiatives by providing leadership and direction to promote a culture of data protection compliance.
- Provide technical guidance and support on Data Protection matters, including the requirements of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (‘GDPR’) and local data protection laws that supplement the GDPR.
- Provide consultation during data privacy issues/incidents by challenging the norms and supporting a better control environment.
- Support the Chief Privacy Officer in delivering other elements of the Privacy Risk Program.
Skills/ Experience required
- Highly motivated individual who wishes to develop their skills within a progressive compliance role.
- Compliance monitoring experience and/or experience of providing compliance advisory support to other business areas within a financial services environment.
- Proven ability to convey complex concepts in a clear and concise manner to diverse and senior audiences.
- Proven exceptional learning agility with a keen desire to support the learning of others.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Influencing and conflict resolution skills.
- Knowledge/Experience of Financial Services would be an advantage.
- Educated to graduate (or equivalent) level – risk or compliance qualification is desirable.
- Certifications in Data Privacy, Risk or Compliance would be an advantage.
Working with Us:
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world’s most admired and ethical companies. In return, we will support you with your personal and career goals in a number of ways:
Financial – Life Assurance, Disability Plan, Pension/ Gratuity, Annual Pay Review
Work Life Balance – Flexible Work Options, Incremental Annual Leave, Community Volunteer Days
Health & Wellbeing – Private Medical Insurance (REMOVE FOR LUX POSTINGS), Active Sports & Social clubs (lunchtime and after-work groups), Employee Assistance Program
Professional Development – Clear Career Path, Education Assistance, Recognition Programme, NT University (wide range of online, virtual & in-house training options) and employee-led Business Resource Councils dedicated to diversity and inclusion initiatives.
We hope you’re excited about the role and the opportunity to work with us.
We value an inclusive workplace and understand flexibility means different things to different people.
Apply today and talk to us about your flexible working requirements and together we can achieve greater.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.