Internal Audit Manager 1, Global Audit Services
Who we are
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With 130 years of financial experience and nearly 20,000 partners, we serve the world’s most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
What we do
Northern Trust’s international business has grown dramatically over the last decade. Some of our largest clients are located in Asia and Australia, which represents a rapidly growing client base for the company. Since 1986, we have been serving clients in Asia-Pacific (APAC), including corporate pension funds, investment managers, insurance companies, government agencies, family offices and corporations. Our intricate understanding of the region allows us to provide unique insights and strategic perspectives to our clients. Currently, we have client offices in Beijing, Hong Kong, Melbourne, Singapore, Seoul, Tokyo and Kuala Lumpur.
What you will do
The Internal Audit Manager (Manager 1) role is a key senior position within the global Audit Services organization, responsible for providing direct oversight and leadership to the audit team in Manila and fostering an environment where growth and opportunity for career advancement is present. This professional will lead a growing group of auditors, who are responsible for the execution of a global portfolio of audit engagements in the areas of Corporate and Institutional Services (C&IS) and Global Services business portfolio across the globe. This role requires the ability to read and comprehend complex U.S. and global regulations and apply those learnings to assess Northern Trust’s compliance with those laws and requirements.
The Manager 1 will take direction from the audit teams located in Chicago and across the EMEA and APAC regions which supports the C&IS International and Global Services business portfolio. The successful candidate will guide the local team in Manila to attain favorable audit outcomes (i.e. workpaper quality, thoroughness, accuracy, and timeliness). This position will report locally to the Head of Audit - Manila, and functionally to CGI Audit Manager – EMEA
- Demonstrating asset and fund servicing knowledge (e.g. custody services, fund administration or capital markets) typically gained in a financial services audit environment, through the following:
- Providing subject matter and technical expertise to the Audit Team
- Staying current on regulatory rules and changes within the asset servicing industry and how these impact the audit planning activities
- Interacts and partners with the Business Partners and Audit Managers locally and globally to understand the risks within the business, business changes and other significant events that could significantly affect the business and/or the audit plan
- Improves risk management, control, and governance effectiveness through systematic, disciplined audit evaluations
- Provide strategic thinking, thought leadership, and guidance on identifying key risks and assessing the design and operating effectiveness of the controls supporting C&IS, Global Services, risk management and compliance;
- Encourage an environment of employee participation, teamwork, and open communication;
- Provides training, coaching, and auditing expertise to the audit team;
- Mentors and guides team members in conceptualizing and achieving their career development goals
- Accountable for own assignments and holding others accountable for theirs. Delivering when you say you will, and proactively managing expectations
- Work with management to develop an audit strategy for the engagement;
- Ensure that deliverables are issued accurately, completely, and timely to stakeholders
- Leads and oversees larger, more complex, and/or global reviews;
- Demonstrates an understanding of the business risks, controls, and processes, along with an understanding of relevant laws, regulatory rules and knowledge of the impact of systems within areas reviewed;
- Apply analytical skills, discussions with the Business and Audit Partners and the risk assessment process to properly identify key risks and controls, audit scope, and testing approach within an audit or other project;
- Accurately designs the testing approach and ensures, through first-level reviews, that work paper documentation is clear, concise, supports the reviews performed, and explains decisions made during the project;
- Communicates with senior level management, including leading efforts to discuss the business/risk environment and issues/risks raised during the review, along with providing periodic updates, to the status of the project;
- Lead walkthroughs and planning meetings with key stakeholders at all levels;
- Demonstrate professional scepticism and comfort with questioning how certain processes are being performed in order to facilitate making improvements;
- Draft issues clearly and concisely and communicate potential issues to the business;
- Assist in preparing the Draft Audit Report;
- Lead status meetings and discussions of initial audit findings with stakeholders;
- Monitor audit team members’ time, and escalates significant budget variances/delays;
- Fosters a high performing Manila Audit Services team culture by encouraging employee participation, teamwork and communication
- Develop the Manila Audit Services teams’ capability to articulate core audit objectives, risks and procedures.
- Oversees the professional development and performance management processes by identifying training and development needs, and providing effective feedback.
- Conducts the annual performance management process for direct reports, in consultation with the functional manager to agree ratings.
- Sets the local context and culture for the team in sync with the overall department tone.
- Celebrates individual partner and team achievements, recognizing valued contributions.
- Effectively perform oversight functions and ensure oversight governance and control.
- Ensure NAVs are accurate and delivered on a timely basis, investor activities are processed accurately and on time.
- Maintaining a sound level of KPIs and high touch client service across all operations areas & ensure a robust and oversight program.
- Seasoned multi-disciplinary expert with extensive technical and / or business knowledge and functional expertise
- Participate in Client/prospect presentation on Fund Administration services.
- Carries out complex initiatives involving multiple disciplines and/or ambiguous issues
- Displays a balanced, cross-functional perspective, liaising with the business to improve efficiency, effectiveness and productivity
- Ensure service quality provided to client, and build professional rapport with client.
- Provides leadership and guidance to staff, fostering an environment that encourages employee participation, teamwork, and communication.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance is required
- CIA or CPA certification is preferred
- 10+ years of experience in auditing and/or systems experience in a financial institution or similar public accounting experience in the financial services industry is required
- Knowledge of auditing in the financial services industry preferred
- 2+ years of experience in handling or managing people
- Self-starter with an ability to self-motivate
- Able to lead and motivate teams of varying skill and knowledge levels
- Strong analytical, leadership and organizational skills are required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Highly numerate with strong organisational and problem solving skills with attention to detail
- Ability to proactively assess issues, identify solutions and problem solve
- Ability to work under pressure and to deliver to tight deadlines
- A ability to work in a fast paced environment as part of a Global Audit team across multiple time zones and jurisdictions.
- Work from home until further notice
- 11am to 8pm work shift
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why Forbes ranked us the top employer for Diversity in 2018.
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world’s most admired and ethical companies. Build your career with us and apply today!
Want to learn more about our company? Visit www.northerntrust.com
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.