Assistant Manager - Accounting and Financial Reporting
Overall job purpose
This exciting role is to join the largest Accounting and Business Advisory (ABA) team in the South West, based in our Bristol office. The ABA team is split into three sub-teams - Accounting, Insight and Advisory (AIA), Accounting and Financial Reporting (AFR) and Financial Advisory Services (FAS).
You will be a key member of our growing, high performing Accounting and Financial Reporting (AFR) team based in the Bristol office. You will be responsible for working on a broad and interesting range of accounting, financial reporting and and business advisory assignments. An Assistant Manager is expected to complete technically challenging projects and to manage a portfolio of clients to suit your skills and experience.
The AFR team has experienced rapid growth in the last 12 months, and the continued growth of the department will create opportunities to develop your accounting and financial reporting expertise. There are also many opportunities to develop other skill sets, including business development, coaching of junior staff and participating in the annual recruitment process for graduate trainees.
A strong understanding of UK GAAP accounting principles is essential and a working knowledge of IFRS is highly desirable. Experience of working under other specialist GAAPs such as the Charities SORP would also be an advantage but not essential.
RSM has a commitment to ‘grow our own’ talent. We want all our people to reach their full potential. Our range of learning and development programmes has been set up to help everyone achieve their goals. So whether you’re looking to expand your skill set or want to become a manager, director or partner, our first-class training and career development opportunities will help get you there.
- Review of financial statements under FRS 102, FRS 101 and IFRS. Some preparation may also be required but the assistant manager will primarily act as a reviewer of accounts prepared by our excellent team of supervisors and assistants.
- Supervision and coaching of junior team members in the preparation of financial statements.
- To act as first and key point of contact with your allocated portfolio of clients, and to communicate any problems or any contentious issues identified to the assignment manager and/or partner.
- Management of a portfolio of clients and projects, including client take-on responsibilities, project management and WIP/billing management.
- To practise the principles of excellent client service always. The position will involve significant client contact.
- To ensure that assignments are undertaken in accordance with the pre-assignment instructions, and to carry out the more rigorous aspects of the assignment efficiently, thoroughly and in accordance with the firm’s procedures.
- To liaise with other departments within the office, particularly our audit and corporate tax teams, to ensure that agreed deadlines are met and significant issues are resolved in a timely manner.
- To act as a coach to more junior members of the team and to participate in staff training and supervision as required. This role has the opportunity for line management of junior staff depending on experience.
- A willingness to travel to client’s premises is required. However, the vast majority of our work is office-based working within our fast-growing and high performing team.
Personal and professional qualities The role requires:
- Qualified accountant status (ACA or ACCA qualified or equivalent).
- UK GAAP and financial reporting experience.
- A positive, can-do attitude and a willingness to learn and progress.
- Strong project management and organisational skills.
- Experience of working with multiple clients simultaneously.
- Experience of supervision and coaching of junior staff.
- Experience of Microsoft Office, with high competency with both Excel and Word.
- A technical or sector specialism, for example IFRS and/or charities experience.
- Working within or alongside an audit team.
- CCH or experience with similar accounts preparation packages.
- Experience of working in a professional practice.
At RSM we work hard to create an environment where our people can make a difference - to themselves, their career, their teams, and to the success of our firm and clients. We support all our people to work flexibly, to manage their family and other responsibilities alongside their work commitments; we believe this is key to achieving an inspiring and fulfilling working environment.
Diversity and Inclusion at RSM
At RSM, inclusion and diversity are central to our values. We have an authentic focus on intentional inclusion, enabling our people to feel they can bring their whole self to work and ensuring everyone feels supported, respected and confident to make a valuable contribution.
To find out more, please visit our Diversity and Inclusion page on our Careers Website.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.