Business Services & Outsourcing Assistant Manager - Ipswich
This is a 12 Month Fixed Term Contract
Ideas | People | Trust
We’re BDO. An accountancy and business advisory firm, providing the advice and solutions businesses need to navigate today’s changing world.
We’ll broaden your horizons
As an Assistant Manager you will be responsible for a portfolio of clients and be required to work closely with and support more senior members of the team in the timely delivery of services.
Services you can expect to fall within your portfolio are the review of year-end accounts compliance; review of Vat returns; and review of periodic management accounts, as well as any ad-hoc advisory services requested.
You will determine resource requirements to service your portfolio, monitor progress against budget and time-frames, review work of more junior members of staff and resolve issues prior to Director or Partner review.
You will work independently and be accountable for the delivery of the project to the Director or Partner for review, being the first point of contact for our clients throughout the project.
In addition to accounting and tax capabilities, you will have rounded business knowledge, able to analyse client data, make recommendations and talk credibly to clients on the issues they face.
We’ll help you succeed
- Plan delivery of work on your own portfolio; plan bookings, brief juniors and monitor performance to ensure timely completion of job.
- Undertake a review of accounts and liaise with client to resolve queries before submitting to Director/Partner for review.
- Be the day-to-day contact for your allocated portfolio, escalating issues to more senior members of the team where appropriate.
- Work as part of a team to provide ad-hoc accounting assistance and ensure clients are provided with excellent service.
- Complete the client-take-on procedures for new clients, to include preparing engagement letters for Director or Partner review.
- Where appropriate, attend year-end client meetings (depending on circumstances, with or without a Director/Partner) to present results and topical matters.
- Ensure that the firm’s risk management and quality control procedures are adhered to
- Excellent knowledge of accounting packages (Sage Line 50, Xero, Quickbooks) and Caseware
- Working efficiently and as part of a team to deliver work on a timely basis and to the required standard.
- Monitors WIP on own portfolio; understands scope, fees and project negotiations and identifies opportunities for additional fees on own portfolio.
- Ensure all team needs are met in regards to answering queries promptly.
- Understands the clients’ business context to ensure we continue to deliver relevant solutions and good value.
- Contributes to bidding for new work and supports management as needed.
- Updates the team regularly with progress reports and actively contributes to the development of others in the team by providing timely feedback.
- Builds relationships with existing clients and seeks out new opportunities
- Takes the time to reflect on and learn from experience.
- Understands wider BDO service offering and can spot opportunities outside the stream.
- Supervises the work of others when needed.
- Seeks greater responsibility and rises to the challenge.
- Is robust under pressure and calmly faces challenging situations.
- Is sought out by colleagues as a valuable source of advice and support.
- Makes suggestions and offers potential solutions to problems in a timely manner.
- Displays energy and enthusiasm and is focused on achieving results.
- Seeks regular feedback on own performance and acts on findings.
- Actively supports management to meet the strategic objectives for the team.
When you join us, we’ll make your growth our priority. If you can demonstrate the following skills, we can help you go far. We’re looking for someone with:
- Qualified Accountant ACA, ACCA or equivalent
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office especially Excel.
- Excellent knowledge of accounting packages including Xero, caseware, Sage products and Quickbooks is desirable.
- Experience of managing client assignments is essential.
We’re in it together
At BDO, we believe that when our people feel valued and rewarded, their potential is unlimited. We offer highly competitive starting salaries and review remuneration packages regularly to ensure that our pay always positively reflects performance. As well as offering support with tuition and professional qualifications, we also provide the following benefits, as standard:
- 25 days’ holiday;
- access to a personal pension scheme, with matched employer contributions;
- life assurance cover;
- and income protection insurance.
That’s not all. We understand that everyone is different, so we offer a range of voluntary benefits to suit every lifestyle. Our flexible benefits platform means our people can choose from a range of tax efficient options to design a benefit package that best suits them. You, they can:
- buy up to ten days’ extra holiday;
- add on private medical, personal accident, dental insurance or travel insurance;
- enrol in our Bike to Work scheme;
- enjoy discounts off cinemas, dining, and gyms;
- receive an interest free season ticket loan or interest free graduate loan;
- take an online health assessment and utilise our employee assistance programme.
Agile working at BDO (Workable)
- WORKABLE is our approach to making working at BDO work for everyone. It’s a framework – including policies, guidance, tools, resources, and support – that offers flexibility and choice around how, when and where we do our work. WORKABLE gives BDO people the freedom they need to be able to work at their best. Because sometimes, the hub is the best environment to get things done, and sometimes we’re more productive working from home: WORKABLE gives us that choice.
- We aim to offer you more choice and flexibility to plan around work and life, which can lead to improved wellbeing, access to more diverse projects and learning opportunities and increased job satisfaction.
We’re looking forward to the future
At BDO, we’re big enough to make the difference and collaborative enough to never lose sight of where we’re going. We know that it’s our people that make our success possible. Across our UK locations, more than 6,000 of them work together to provide tax, audit, assurance and a range of advisory services that help our clients achieve their ambitious goals. Together, they’re fuelling Britain’s economic engine. Behind every complex client challenge and every untapped innovation, they’re there: ensuring we continue to find the right combination of global reach, integrity and expertise. That’s why we’re always looking for ways to invest in our people. That means providing them with an environment where they can grow, learn, laugh and feel respected, at all times.
Are you ready to join them?
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.