Senior Trader, Liquidity Management
Who we are
Northern Trust is a preeminent global financial institution that provides asset servicing, investment management and wealth management services for institutions, high-net-worth individuals and families. For more than 130 years, our success has been anchored in one purpose: to serve as our clients’ most trusted financial partner, guarding and growing their assets as though they are our own. Our market-leading technological capabilities—spanning from artificial intelligence for currency management, blockchain for fund administration and cloud-based solutions to deliver personalized wealth management services—allow us to deliver the highest level of service to our clients with speed and precision.
What we do
Northern Trust’s international business has grown dramatically over the last decade. Some of our largest clients are located in Asia and Australia, which represents a rapidly growing client base for the company. Our intricate understanding of the region allows us to provide unique insights and strategic perspectives to our clients. Currently, we have client offices in Beijing, Hong Kong, Melbourne, Singapore, Seoul, Tokyo and Kuala Lumpur.
Northern Trust is proud to serve the Australian community with global capabilities, meaningful insights and exceptional service. Institutional clients across Asia Pacific have relied on Northern Trust for effective solutions and ethical guidance across asset servicing and asset management since 1986.
The APAC Treasury team, consisting of the Head of Treasury, APAC, supported by the Senior Trader, Liquidity Management, is part of the global Treasury department, responsible for managing the balance sheet activities across all of Northern Trust’s key global legal entities.
The Senior Trader, Liquidity Management will report to the Head of Treasury, APAC and assist in a wide range of Treasury activities for the Melbourne Branch and across the APAC region. These activities include managing the Bank’s liquidity position across all currencies. Execution of the Bank’s fixed income and money market investment portfolio strategy and management of interest rate, liquidity and currency risks. Further details are provided below.
This role is open to Sydney or Melbourne location.
What you will do
- Managing the branch’s balance sheet assets (cash and investments) and liabilities (primarily client deposits)
- Daily clearing of the AUD cash balances held in our Reserve Bank of Australia Exchange Settlement Account
- Active participation in the Interbank Overnight Cash Market (borrowing and lending AUD to maintain our cash position
- Working with the Cash Operations team to ensure liquidity is maintained at all times, client payments are funded without delay and regulatory liquidity ratios are sufficiently above thresholds.
- Execution of FX swaps and intercompany transactions between global branches to efficiently manage client deposits in multiple currencies
- Execution of AUD money market transactions (interbank overnight cash, repos, reverse repos, term deposits) and proprietary bond investments on behalf of the branch within established risk limits
- Assisting the APAC Regional Head of Treasury in managing the liquidity, market and operational risks of the Melbourne Branch and regional branches
- Ensure compliance with global policies and procedures, local and global regulatory requirements
- Monitor liquidity metrics including LCRs, and review stress testing results for the region
- Maintain local Treasury Policies, Contingency Funding Plans and Funding Strategy documentation.
- Maintain relationships with bank counterparties
- Forecast daily cashflow / funding needs of the Bank and implement a funding strategy to meet those needs
- Consistent with the overall Bank investment strategy, monitor the markets, evaluate opportunities and purchase or sell securities.
- Close coordination with partners in Global Treasury (Chicago and London), Treasury Support, Operations, Finance and Risk
- As technical expert, provides comprehensive, in-depth consulting to the business, advising management on how specific business requirements or financial issues impact corporate decisions
- Manages complex projects, including planning, organizing, and directing activities towards project goals.
- Requires in-depth conceptual and practical knowledge of Banks Treasury activities, market and liquidity risk management
- Ability to work to tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Explains difficult or sensitive information; works to build consensus
- Knowledge of Australian Central Bank monetary policies and practices, interest rate, foreign exchange and credit markets and theory, usually acquired through formal education or experience, to monitor and manage cash positions in various currencies.
- Knowledge of banking operations, usually acquired through experience, to understand and project balances and positions.
- Strong analytical skills are needed to optimize balance sheet returns and manage risks.
- Knowledge of accounting, usually acquired through formal education or experience, to plan funding/investment position.
- Knowledge of financial markets and securities, usually acquired through formal education and experience.
- Ability to use various software packages including Bloomberg and Reuters to analyze data and execute transactions
- Ability to apply a wide variety of financial analysis and economic methodologies to understand and interpret market behavior and make financial decisions
- Thorough business knowledge, acquired through extensive corporate experience, or similar work experience preferably in the Bank Treasury field with related tertiary degree.
As of 30 September 2021, Northern Trust Corporation had:
- $15.8 trillion in assets under custody/administration
- $12.2 trillion in assets under custody
- $1.5 trillion in assets under management
- $169 billion in banking assets
As a Northern Trust partner, you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve!
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience. Which Is why we are honored to receive the following awards in 2021:
- Gender Equality Index Member, Bloomberg, 2021 (4th consecutive year)
- Top ranking of 100% on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s, Corporate Equality Index, 2021 (For the 14th consecutive year, Northern Trust has scored 100% and earned the designation as a “Best Place to Work for LGBTQ Equality”)
In Australia, we are actively involved in many ways with both community and diversity organisations, which includes charity participation days. For families we offer a very generous parental leave scheme, and all staff have access to subsidised health insurance if they choose.
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world’s most admired and ethical companies. Build your career with us and apply today!
Want to learn more about our company? Visit our website
We are a leading global financial institution- Click here to check out our company accolades!
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.