Senior Accountant – Private Equity
About Northern Trust:
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With 130 years of financial experience and nearly 20,000 partners, we serve the world’s most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
As a Northern Trust employee (Partner), you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve.
Northern Trust is committed to working with and providing adjustments to individuals with health conditions and disabilities. If you would benefit from adjustments for any part of the employment process, please inform the recruiter to discuss your individual requirements.
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why Forbes ranked us the top employer for Diversity in 2018.
The successful candidate will be expected to take a pivotal role in managing and delivering the reporting needs of a highly accomplished global private equity firm through the development of relationships with the client, auditors and other third parties. The role will require the successful candidate to prepare, assist and review a variety of deliverables to include audited financial statements, management accounts, the provision of information for tax reporting purposes and ad-hoc reporting for entities administered by the Private Equity department in a timely, efficient and accurate manner adhering to the highest standards.
The key responsibilities of the role include:
- Leading by example: Demonstrating professional judgement and attitude in all aspects of your work to assist in furthering an environment which encourages employee participation, teamwork and communication enabling the delivery of a first class professional and efficient service
- Communication: Promoting effective communication via individual 1:2:1 and team meetings. Maintaining a strong relationship with the client, auditors, administration team and other Northern Trust departments
- Accounting Team development: Enabling the development of partners by increasing their technical knowledge and skillsets to allow them to fully carry out their functions through the effective use coaching and evaluation of the results. This will include providing and enabling on the job training and assisting the Lead Accountant in ensuring that all procedures are kept up to date and are adhered to on a daily basis
- Organisation of the Accounting Team: For various deliverables, ensure that agreed timetables are adhered to and that proactive communication is maintained throughout the process. Identify system and process enhancements for discussion with the wider team. Prioritise assignments, providing continuous feedback to the team and escalating issues appropriately
- Technical knowledge: Advising on potential accounting issues and current best practises as well as sharing knowledge, expertise and guidance with both the team and the client. Understand complex transactions and opine on extensive cash management procedures for varying entities. Develop an understanding of the call and distribution processes and the transfer of shares / limited partner interests for the various entities
- Pro forma Accounts: The ability to design pro forma accounts as required, ensuring they are in accordance with appropriate regulations/standards and agreed with clients/auditors
- Account preparation process: Prepare the relevant tax information or accounting statements ready for presentation to the client’s tax advisors or Board of Directors (where required). Ensure that the FRR and LRR calculations for Guernsey licensee entities are completed and that all statutory accounts are filed within the relevant deadlines
- Client reporting: Develop client specific knowledge to facilitate the delivery of ad-hoc queries.
- Other deliverables: Ensuring the completion of accurate complex fund valuations, distributions, calls / drawdowns, management fee and other calculations
- Internal reporting: Completion of NT internal reporting as required
- The ideal candidate will hold an accounting qualification (ACA or ACCA preferred) and be familiar with both UK GAAP or IFR
- Have an understanding of the Guernsey Company / POI / Partnership laws and possess an ability to keep up to date with all developments
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Confidence in communicating directly with clients and other senior stakeholders
- Proven people management credentials
- Good analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to set priorities and manage deadlines
- Advanced Excel Skills and knowledge of Investran would be an advantage
- Good team player, self-starter, flexible, with the ability to work under pressure with minimal supervision
Working with Us:
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world’s most admired and ethical companies. In return, we will support you with your personal and career goals in a number of ways:
Financial – Life Assurance, Disability Plan, Pension/ Gratuity, Annual Pay Review
Work Life Balance – Flexible Work Options, Incremental Annual Leave, Community Volunteer Days
Health & Wellbeing – Private Medical Insurance (REMOVE FOR LUX POSTINGS), Active Sports & Social clubs (lunchtime and after-work groups), Employee Assistance Program
Professional Development – Clear Career Path, Education Assistance, Recognition Programme, NT University (wide range of online, virtual & in-house training options) and employee-led Business Resource Councils dedicated to diversity and inclusion initiatives.
We hope you’re excited about the role and the opportunity to work with us.
We value an inclusive workplace and understand flexibility means different things to different people.
Apply today and talk to us about your flexible working requirements and together we can achieve greater.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.