Senior Accountant, Hong Kong
Who we are
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With 130 years of financial experience and nearly 20,000 partners, we serve the world’s most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
We believe our most valuable asset is our engaged, empowered & diverse workforce. As a global institution, Northern Trust is committed to building upon this diverse talent through encouraging innovative thinking and personal courage in an inclusive environment. Northern Trust’s commitment to diversity & inclusion is evident in our internal initiatives for which we have won several globally recognized awards.
What we do
Northern Trust’s international business has grown dramatically over the last decade. Some of our largest clients are located in Asia and Australia, which represents a rapidly growing client base for the company. Since 1986, we have been serving clients in Asia-Pacific (APAC), including corporate pension funds, investment managers, insurance companies, government agencies, family offices and corporations. Our intricate understanding of the region allows us to provide unique insights and strategic perspectives to our clients. Currently, we have client offices in Beijing, Hong Kong, Melbourne, Singapore, Seoul, Tokyo and Kuala Lumpur.
The Hong Kong entity is a licensed corporation regulated by the Hong Kong Securities and Futures Commission (‘SFC’).
Responsible for the overall financial control functions of the entity, the Senior Accountant - Hong Kong is a key member of the APAC Controllers team within APAC Finance that looks after local and corporate reporting of financial results in conformity with rigorous standards required by the corporation and local regulators.
Reporting into the Hong Kong and Japan Finance Manager, the Senior Accountant – Hong Kong must demonstrate analytical skills in preparing financial reports and conducting projects with minimal supervision. The ability to research, resolve and communicate complex accounting or reporting issues as they arise is required.
Individuals with knowledge of Financial Resources Rule under the Hong Kong Securities and Futures Ordinance (‘FRR’) would be advantageous.
Accounting, Reporting and Regulator reporting
- Supervise offshore supporting team to maintain books and records and increase productivity.
- Responsible for the management and coordination of accounting close and preparation of statutory accounts and corporate financial reporting.
- Responsible for corporate US GAAP and local GAAP accounting, and the compliance with both local and group policies, procedures and standards.
- Oversee liquid capital position according to the FRR.
- Responsible for the integrity and timeliness in filing SFC returns.
- Participate in APAC Finance projects to achieve its goals.
- Monitor local tax requirements and manage ad-hoc queries from the local tax authority in consultation with tax representative
- Ensure timely submission of tax returns and notifications.
Audit and Internal Control
- Maintain procedure documents and review internal control effectiveness
- Assist in internal audit process and propose management action to audit findings issued to Finance.
- Liaise with external auditor, manage statutory audit process, present audit results and ensure timely finalization and submission of audited accounts to the regulators.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance is required.
- Qualified CPA or equivalent
- 4-5 years working experience, with 3 years Big 4 audit experience, preferably in a financial services environment
- Excellent analytical skill and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to adapt to various audiences.
- Independent, highly flexible and adaptable to change
- Must be a team player and able to work under pressure during peak periods
As a Northern Trust partner, you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve!
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why Forbes ranked us the top employer for Diversity in 2018.
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world’s most admired and ethical companies. Build your career with us and apply today!
Want to learn more about our company? Visit our website
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.