US West - Indirect Tax - Value Added Tax Manager
At EY, you’ll have the chance to build a career as unique as you are, with the global scale, support, inclusive culture and technology to become the best version of you. And we’re counting on your unique voice and perspective to help EY become even better, too. Join us and build an exceptional experience for yourself, and a better working world for all.
Location: LOS ANGELES, SAN FRANCISCO, SAN JOSE, SEATTLE, DALLAS, HOUSTON
EY's US VAT practice helps clients identify areas of risks and opportunities and provides sustainable planning opportunities to our clients in support of their need to manage foreign indirect tax matters. Our key objective is to help clients meet their compliance obligations and business goals around the world, providing the perspective and support needed to manage indirect taxes effectively and efficiently.
Our tax function is constantly evolving, and it's here you'll find everything you need to grow as we do. It's all about taking on new skills and responsibilities as they arise and making the most of our dedicated mentors and training programs. Our US VAT practice advises the firm's multinational clients on non-US indirect tax matters. Specific services include advice on VAT, Goods and Services Tax (GST), Consumption Tax and other similar transaction taxes which are typically experienced by multinational companies when conducting business in foreign jurisdictions.
Your key responsibilities
You'll spend much of your time providing the knowledge, experience and resources to bridge the gap between what is expected of a company's US tax department and its often limited knowledge of VAT in foreign jurisdictions. You'll team with colleagues that have experience in foreign country VAT taxation, structures and solutions. We'll expect you to be knowledgeable about the global business challenges companies are facing and how those challenges affect a company's indirect tax position around the world.
Skills and attributes for success
- Demonstrate a detailed understanding of common principles of VAT and ability to effectively apply them to client situations
- Manage multiple projects and junior team members in the execution of the technical matters and operations of the practice
- Research VAT legislation, case law and other VAT guidance to support Senior Managers and Partners on client engagements
- Participate in and lead educational sessions on developments in international VAT legislation and case law
- Translate your technical skills into practical solution-oriented advice, creating added value for our clients
To qualify for the role you must have
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics, Tax, Law or a related field and 5 years of progressive, post-baccalaureate work experience in Tax. Alternatively, will accept a Master's degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics, Tax, Law or a related field and 4 years of work experience in Tax.
- Aminimum of 4 years of VAT/ indirect tax consulting experience or equivalent experience in business or working for the government
- Detailed exposure to VAT taxation, country-specific or multi-jurisdictional VAT consulting and VAT compliance
- Excellent managerial, organizational, analytical and verbal/written communication skills
- 20 to 40% travel, of which, 10% may be international, to serve client needs
Ideally you'll also have
- A proven record in a professional services environment
- The ability to adapt your work style to work with both internal and client team members
What we look for
We're interested in people who are ready to become a part of a highly engaged, diverse, and dynamic team to help us continue to make a real difference to our clients. If you have a strong client focus, the ability to develop meaningful relationships and the ambition to deliver above and beyond expectations, this role is for you.
What we offer
We offer a competitive compensation package where you’ll be rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you bring to our business. In addition, our Total Rewards package includes medical and dental coverage, pension and 401(k) plans, and a wide range of paid time off options. Under our flexible vacation policy, you’ll decide how much vacation time you need based on your own personal circumstances. You’ll also be granted time off for designated EY Paid Holidays, Winter/Summer breaks, Personal/Family Care, and other leaves of absence when needed to support your physical, financial, and emotional well-being.
- Continuous learning: You’ll develop the mindset and skills to navigate whatever comes next.
- Success as defined by you: We’ll provide the tools and flexibility, so you can make a meaningful impact, your way.
- Transformative leadership: We’ll give you the insights, coaching and confidence to be the leader the world needs.
- Diverse and inclusive culture: You’ll be embraced for who you are and empowered to use your voice to help others find theirs.
The exceptional EY experience. It’s yours to build.
EY | Building a better working world
EY exists to build a better working world, helping to create long-term value for clients, people and society and build trust in the capital markets.
Enabled by data and technology, diverse EY teams in over 150 countries provide trust through assurance and help clients grow, transform and operate.
Working across assurance, consulting, law, strategy, tax and transactions, EY teams ask better questions to find new answers for the complex issues facing our world today.
EY is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer providing equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable law.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.