Assistant Manager - Accounting and Financial Reporting
Overall job purpose
You will be a key member of the growing Accounting and Business Advisory team based in Milton Keynes. You will be responsible for working on a broad range of accounting and business advisory assignments including the preparation of statutory accounts for our portfolio of clients.
The person doing this role is expected to work well within a team on projects and report in to our directors and managers in regard to the profitable running of their client portfolio. The fast growth of the department will create opportunities to develop further skill sets including business development, coaching of junior staff and delivering high quality work in an efficient way. You will receive strong coaching from our friendly manager and senior team which will allow you to challenge yourself within a supportive environment.
A strong understanding of UK GAAP, IFRS and accounting principles is desirable. Experience of working under other GAAPs would be a bonus.
Ideally, the successful candidate will be qualified or close to completing their qualification either as ACA or ACCA and be able to demonstrate good experience in financial reporting.
- Supervision and coaching of junior team members in the preparation of financial statements that are compliant with FRS 102, FRS 101, IFRS and other relevant accounting standards.
- To act as a focal point of contact with the clients. To communicate any problems or any contentious issues identified to the assignment manager and/or partner immediately. To identify and form suggested solutions.
- Management of a portfolio of clients and projects, including client care responsibilities, project management and WIP/billing management.
- To provide insights to our clients drawing on the firm’s depth of resources and help to introduce other service lines as you build those relationships
- To deliver excellent client service. The position will involve significant client interaction.
- To ensure that assignments are undertaken in accordance with the pre-assignment instructions, and to carry out the more rigorous aspects of the assignment efficiently, thoroughly and in accordance with the firm’s procedures.
- To liaise with other departments within the office, especially the audit and corporate tax teams. To ensure that agreed deadlines are met and significant issues are resolved in a timely manner.
- Utilising Excel/Word and CCH AP 2 to produce working papers and financial statements.
- Dealing with cost management, billing and other administrative issues relating to the portfolio.
- To act as a coach to more junior members of the team and to participate in staff training and supervision as required. This role has the opportunity for line management of junior staff depending on experience.
- A willingness to travel to client’s premises is required. However, the significant proportion of work is office-based working within our fast-growing team.
Key Performance Measures
- Delivery of high quality financial statements and overall service to clients
- Deadlines are met
- Budgets achieved
- Adherence to the firm’s procedures
- Flexibility towards hours of work and tasks performed including assisting other staff e.g. dealing with urgent tasks at short notice when required
- To keep confidential any information obtained concerning the business affairs of the Firm, its staff and clients
- Portray the Firm in a professional manner through appearance, conduct and attitude
Personal and professional qualities
The role requires:
- ACA / ACCA Qualified or equivalent or very close to qualified
- UK GAAP and financial reporting experience.
- Experience of working in a professional practice.
- Strong project management and organisational skills.
- Experience of working with clients.
- Experience of supervision of junior staff.
- Experience of Microsoft Office, with high competency with both Excel and Word.
- Well-developed people skills to relate to clients and colleagues. To enjoy working as part of a close-nit and friendly team bringing energy and enthusiasm to the role.
- A technical or sector specialism, for example IFRS and/or charities/not-for-profit experience.
- Working within or alongside an audit team.
- Sage and Xero and experience with other accounting packages.
- CCH or similar professional accounts preparation packages.
Diversity and Inclusion at RSM
At RSM, inclusion and diversity are central to our values. We have an authentic focus on intentional inclusion, enabling our people to feel they can bring their whole self to work and ensuring everyone feels supported, respected and confident to make a valuable contribution.
To find out more, please visit our Diversity and Inclusion page on our Careers Website.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.