VAT Manager – Office or Remote based, flexible working
Are you a self-motivated VAT specialist with personal tax practice experience? Do you want to make an impact in a growing entrepreneurial firm? Are you motivated by and generally interested in clients’ businesses?
Shaw Gibbs is a Top 100 adviser with a strong focus on innovation and technology, our clients range from private to owner-managed businesses and large international subsidiaries. With offices in London and Oxford we are located in two of the UK’s key investment hubs. Using leading-edge cloud technology, our strategy is to deliver a personal service to the highest standards.
We put our people first – you are the future of our business. We will develop your strengths, empower you to take more responsibility and help you carve a career path. Our culture is very important to us and is based on our company values of collaboration, respect, innovation and expertise.
As the VAT Manager, you will take the lead role in providing VAT Advisory Services directly to existing clients and contributing to the development of consultancy work/projects for the firm by working with other departments when you see an opportunity. You will offer specialist advice on where VAT should be applied to transactions, particularly where these are complicated such as international trade, property, charities, healthcare, finance and start-ups. This ensures that there will not be any hidden costs and that our clients are confident in an HMRC inspection.
We are open to flexible working. You can be based from either our Oxford or London offices, or be remote based with some travel involved. This role can be full or part time.
- To be actively responsible for all commercial aspects of VAT work undertaken and optimising financial outcomes. Leading and managing the firms VAT advisory services provided to both existing clients and on new assignments and projects
- To give clients confidence with their VAT systems by conducting in-depth reviews of their business tax systems to establish if their VAT is being dealt with thoroughly and accurately.
- To advise clients on a beneficial VAT structure to make sure payments are made on time and that the clients are compliant with legal regulations
- To contribute to the efficient and successful delivery of indirect tax services to the client
- To contribute to the development of consultancy work and projects for the firm as a whole, cross selling to other departments and assist colleagues with general VAT advice to clients
- To review prepared VAT returns
- To plan and manage assignments ensuring these are completed to high standards and within budget
- To build relationships both within the firm and externally with clients, identifying opportunities and managing expectations
- To contribute to winning new work by proactively managing existing clients and networking to win new clients.
- To liaise and negotiate with HMRC on behalf of clients
You will need strong interpersonal skills with a proven ability to effectively work and communicate to enable partners and staff to enhance their VAT awareness by:
- Liaising with staff, assisting and advising where necessary
- Assisting the firm’s training function, as required
- Contributing to successfully extracting maximum value for both the firm and its clients from the VAT services delivered whilst managing risk appropriately for both the client and the firm.
- Managing the successful delivery of VAT projects, ensuring technical excellence and practical/business driven approach is taken.
What we can offer you
- Competitive salary and benefits package including flexible working, pension, life assurance and a retail discount scheme
- Generous holiday allowance + ability to buy/sell holiday to fit your lifestyle
- Exposure to a wide range of clients across many industry sectors
- Comprehensive induction and buddy to help you get up to speed in your first few months
- Regular company and team social events throughout the year
- A light and airy, recently refurbished spacious modern office
- A wellbeing programme focusing on your physical and mental wellbeing
- Charity fundraising events
We would like to hear from you if you have a minimum of 3-4 years UK practice experience, preferably within a tax team.
We are also looking for:
- Proven track record of professional experience in providing VAT advisory services
- Strong client relationship skills
- Proven project management and collaborative leadership skills
- Demonstrate good judgement of risk and be commercially minded
- Hold ACA, ACCA, CIMA or CTA qualification
- Experience and willingness to network and develop new business leads
- Extensive experience in cooperating with HMRC
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Strong IT skills
- A positive, confident and proactive attitude
- Ability to prioritise and meet tight timeframes with high quality output
- Enjoy working as part of a team
How to Apply
If you’re interested in this opportunity please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on what it is like working at Shaw Gibbs, visit our career page: https://www.shawgibbs.com/careers