Valuations, Executive - London/ Manchester
Competitive business today is all about making intelligent, informed decisions. As an Executive in the Valuations team, you’ll help make that happen. You'd be an important part of our diversely talented, highly experienced team and work at the forefront of high-profile transactions and key valuation issues for our clients. The UK Valuations team has around 190 people in the UK and sits at the heart of a global Valuation, Modelling and Economic Advisory (“VME”) network of over 1,550 specialists who deliver high quality advice through each phase of the transaction process.
Our focus is to recruit and develop a talented team through investment in technical and commercial training and knowledge transfer. Within the team you’d have the opportunity to work on complex valuation issues and work directly with management. As part of the VME team you have the potential to gain excellent career progression as well as develop industry expertise. Our main teams are based in London and Manchester.
Although our team are largely London based, we operate as a national team and many of our engagements involve multi-national clients. There would likely be travel in the UK and could require working overseas from time to time. As part of your role you would work across a varied portfolio of valuations (see below) and get involved with the wider team on project work.
- Commercial valuations –the team regularly advise businesses on valuations issues with regards to fund valuation, acquisition or divestitures of controlling or minority stakes and broader SaT projects involving lead advisory and the restructuring teams;
- Regulatory and accounting valuations– the team work with management as part of an acquisition or an impairment process to understand how the value of acquired assets (intangible, tangible and financial) will impact the accounts under IFRS or US GAAP, as well as performing valuations for Companies Act purposes or in respect of regulatory bodies such as the FSA;
- Tax valuations and Intellectual Property (“IP”) transfer – the team undertakes valuations for fiscal purposes in the UK and other territories and is ideally placed to advise on all aspects of tax valuation issues. In addition, the team regularly perform the valuation of IP as part of a tax reorganisation. IP assets include trademarks, brand names, core deposit intangibles, customer relationships, banking and other licences, patents, technology and know-how;
- Dispute resolution – the Valuations team in the recognised specialists within the field of dispute resolution, litigation support and expert valuations, and can also act as independent experts.
Your key responsibilities
As an Executive within Valuations you're likely to spend your day to day working on commercial issues, with client management and senior members of the EY team. You will regularly undertake business and asset valuations, building valuation models, leading market research, and presenting your analysis to team members. Valuations will be for a variety of purposes including M&A, tax, financial reporting and litigation and you will learn to review the performance of the assets and businesses valued and adapt your analysis to the specific purpose of the assignment. Valuation analysis will typically be of businesses, shares and other equity instruments, but a significant aspect of VME projects also relates to Intellectual Property such as trademarks, patents and licences.
Skills and Attributes for success
To qualify for the role, you must have
- Being able to demonstrate intellectual rigour and commercial awareness
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to train others and client-focussed attitude;
- Strong modelling skills combined with first-class numeracy;
- Strong written skills, attention to detail and the ability to work under pressure; and
- Intellectual agility and analytical skills;
- Proven experience working within a business valuation environment or in environment regularly involving valuation issues (accounting or tax environments), with a number of years of commercial, client-facing work experience;
Ideally, you’ll also have
- Previous valuation experience in professional services/Big 4 Firm in the UK or abroad
- Financial modelling experience
- ACA/ACCA Qualification
- MBA, Master in finance, CFA, CISI
- Language skills
What we are looking for
We are looking for candidates who are highly motivated, numerate, logical thinkers with a passion for valuations and have a very strong attention to detail. Being a strong team player is also important as well as someone who is happy to work flexibly over a variety of different assignments and industries. Ability to learn and adaptability is also a key element to our work.
What working at EY offers
We offer a competitive remuneration package where you’ll be rewarded for your individual and team performance. Our comprehensive Total Rewards package includes support for flexible working and career development, and with FlexEY you can select benefits that suit your needs, covering holidays, health and well-being, insurance, savings and a wide range of discounts, offers and promotions. Plus, we offer:
- Support, coaching and feedback from some of the most engaging colleagues around
- Opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
- The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that’s right for you
As a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services, we’re using the finance products, expertise and systems we’ve developed to build a better working world. That starts with a culture that believes in giving you the training, opportunities and creative freedom to make things better. Whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime. And with a commitment to hiring and developing the most passionate people, we’ll make our ambition to be the best employer by 2020 a reality.
If you can confidently demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible.
Join us in building a better working world.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.