Team Leader – Private Equity Accounting
About Northern Trust:
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With 130 years of financial experience and nearly 20,000 partners, we serve the world’s most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
As a Northern Trust employee (Partner), you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve.
Northern Trust is committed to working with and providing adjustments to individuals with health conditions and disabilities. If you would benefit from adjustments for any part of the employment process, please inform the recruiter to discuss your individual requirements.
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why Forbes ranked us the top employer for Diversity in 2018.
The successful candidate will be expected to take a pivotal role in managing and delivering exceptional client service to a highly accomplished global private equity firm through the development of the team and of the relationships with the client, auditors and other third parties.
The key responsibilities of the role include:
- Leading by example: Demonstrating professional judgement and attitude in all aspects of your work to assist in furthering an environment which encourages employee participation, teamwork and communication enabling the delivery of a first class professional and efficient service
- Communication: Promoting effective communication via individual 1:2:1 and team meetings. Maintaining a strong relationship with the client, board of directors, auditors, administration team and other Northern Trust departments
- Team development: Enabling the development of partners by increasing their technical knowledge and skillsets to allow them to fully carry out their functions through the effective use of the appraisal process, interim reviews, coaching and evaluation of the results. This will include providing and enabling on the job training and ensuring that all procedures are kept up to date and are adhered to on a daily basis
- Organisation of the team: Through discussion with the client and external parties (where required), establish concise timetables for all key deliverables. Ensure that these are adhered to by the team and enable proactive communication throughout the process. Identify system and process enhancements for discussion and following approval, co-ordinate the introduction of such enhancements. Prioritise assignments, providing continuous feedback to staff and escalating issues appropriately
- Technical knowledge: Aware of current best practises as well as sharing knowledge, expertise and guidance with both the team and the client. Understand complex transactions and be a point of contact for technical matters for the PE team.
- Outsourced jurisdictions: In addition to leading a team in Guernsey, the candidate will also be responsible for overseeing outsourced tasks to Northern Trust offices in other jurisdictions.
- Client reporting:
- Develop client specific knowledge to facilitate the delivery of ad-hoc queries;
- Providing a premier client service by building strong relationships with the Investment Advisor and any other third parties;
- Working closely with the client to resolve queries;
- Working with other teams within NT to ensure delivery of client deliverables;
- Cash Management
- Overseeing a daily cash management process in line with a cash management policy
- Processing and self-reviewing FXs, as needed;
- Arranging for amendments to loan facilities, as required;
- Completion of client monies and bank reconciliations on a monthly basis.
- Investor Administration
- Undertaking the investor call/distribution process from end to end;
- Completion of the investor transfer process;
- Processing investor contact and bank detail updates;
- Monitoring of investor audit confirmations;
- Dealing with investor tax reporting;
- Overseeing fund closings.
- Other deliverables: Ensuring the completion of accurate complex fund valuations, distributions, calls / drawdowns, management fee and other calculations
- Internal reporting: Completion of NT internal reporting as required
Risk Management & Efficiencies:
- To identify efficiencies and areas for improvement to reduce risk and become more efficient;
- Ensuring that technology available is being fully utilized in the most efficient manner;
- Working with technology to resolve any issues and improve processes;
- Working closely with legal/compliance to ensure all funds are in compliance with the relevant regulatory authorities;
- To ensure full and proper reporting to your manager of any operational issues;
- Where delays are expected to flag any service delivery issues as early as possible;
- Ongoing review of daily controls and communications of any new ideas or suggested procedural changes.
- The ideal candidate will hold an accounting qualification (ACA or ACCA preferred) and be familiar with both UK GAAP or IFRS
- Have an understanding of the Guernsey Company / POI / Partnership laws and possess an ability to keep up to date with all developments
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Confidence in communicating directly with clients and other senior stakeholders
- Possess excellent organisation skills with the ability to handle multiple priorities;
- Proven people management credentials
- Signatory experience is preferred
- Strong leadership and change management attributes
- Have an enthusiastic approach and positive attitude;
- Have customer service orientation with a concern for quality;
- Initiative to prepare procedures and checklists to assist others;
- Good analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to set priorities and manage deadlines
- Advanced Excel Skills and knowledge of Investran would be an advantage
- Industry knowledge – know various financial instruments, local regulations and laws;
- Good team player, self-starter, flexible, with the ability to work under pressure with minimal supervision
Working with Us:
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world’s most admired and ethical companies. In return, we will support you with your personal and career goals in a number of ways:
Financial – Life Assurance, Disability Plan, Pension/ Gratuity, Annual Pay Review
Work Life Balance – Flexible Work Options, Incremental Annual Leave, Community Volunteer Days
Health & Wellbeing – Private Medical Insurance, Active Sports & Social clubs (lunchtime and after-work groups), Employee Assistance Program
Professional Development – Clear Career Path, Education Assistance, Recognition Programme, NT University (wide range of online, virtual & in-house training options) and employee-led Business Resource Councils dedicated to diversity and inclusion initiatives.
We hope you’re excited about the role and the opportunity to work with us.
We value an inclusive workplace and understand flexibility means different things to different people.
Apply today and talk to us about your flexible working requirements and together we can achieve greater.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.