Payroll Assistant Manager
Responsibility for a portfolio of payroll clients and associated payroll workflow of own team, whilst supporting senior colleagues across all payroll job requirements, providing a high quality client service experience whilst ensuring adherence to individual job budgets and maximum fee recoveryScope/Reach & Key Relationships
- Client contact across the Service Line (SL)
- Partners and colleagues who are key stakeholders in payroll work across the SL
- Supervision of payroll seniors/semi seniors and assistants
- Supporting the SL’s business development activities
- Government bodies and external organisations such as HMRC
Job/Workflow and Technical Management
- Support the planning, prioritising and allocation of all relevant client payroll work within own and teams clients
- Conduct payroll processing during peak times, delegate client work during periods of normal demand
- Review all payroll processing work of team for accuracy and completeness prior to issuing to client
- Escalate more complex payroll areas and queries from self and team that require Manager assistance and input
- Ensure payroll processing log is completed
- Ensure payroll action log is completed
- Ensure scope, timeline and budget for client payroll work is agreed with Manager and other SL stakeholders (where relevant) including clear communication with other team members whose input may be required
- Monitor work progress and ensure appropriate levels of communication with all clients and internal stakeholders on progress for each key task or phase
- Review BACS accounts and ensure Direct Debits are accurate and up to date
- Quarterly review of client work, identify any examples where costs have exceeded agreed fees. Create a summary and discuss with Manager to agree on a fee recovery plan.
- Support write offs and agree to reruns of payrolls if requested and appropriate
- Support queries on bills and WIP reviews and support queries relating to WIP write offs and agreeing whether reruns are required
- Contribute to timely and accurate billing to clients
- Ensure sign off and authorisation of documents and returns is completed by a partner/director
Client, Internal and External Organisational Contact
- Act as a point of contact for additional allocated clients to manage all their payroll requirements
- Ensure smooth onboarding of new Payroll clients with over 10 employees (Anti Money Laundering (AML) and EL)
- Conduct first client call for newly onboarded clients (small/medium client size) and ensure required data is gathered
- Be a key contact for clients who have complaints or payroll issues that need resolving
- Return phone calls and written correspondence to all of the above within required deadline and ensure promises are kept
- Attend/lead payroll client review meetings as required
- Proactively contact clients to update them on legislative changes, points of interest to them/their industry, KR updates and any other topic we feel would add value
- Collaborate with other internal departments to assist with cross selling of services into the payroll client base
- Ensure overall provision for high levels of client service is in place across own client base
Leadership, People Management and Development
- Supervise seniors, semi seniors and assistants who are involved in processing of payroll work
- Ensure clear action plans and milestones for each piece of payroll work
- Provide feedback to all team members involved in specific payroll work on adherence to standards, errors, learnings and opportunity for adding value
- Delivery of systems training for team members
- Perform a buddy/mentor role for new starters or those more junior team members needing support
- Participation in delivery of local and regional training for new starters and more junior employees as agreed
- Be aware of individual team member capability and aspiration, and ensure input into individual Performance Development Plans (PDP)
New Business Development
- Support the payroll team in delivering the required leads and SL incremental fee target via networking, meeting attendance, business pitches and presenting at webinars
- Develop suitably strong internal Kreston Reeves connections such that access and support are identified by all other Service Line teams to their own client bases and cross referral opportunities identified.
- Understand - Be curious, ask more and listen. Put yourself in the other person’s shoes.
- Look Ahead - Anticipate the future, plan for it, and embrace the benefits of change.
- Make it Personal - Adapt to others’ needs, flex your style to get the best outcome for every situation.
- Be Crystal Clear - Consult others, give helpful feedback; ensure people know what’s going on, and how it impacts on them.
- Be Human - Invest time in building strong relationships, have a positive ‘can do’ attitude and help others to grow.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.
Unfortunately we are unable to provide any form of visa sponsorship, so candidates must be an EU citizen or possess a current UK Tier 1 Visa and be eligible to take up full time, permanent employment.
EU candidates must also demonstrate they are eligible to take up UK employment post-Brexit.