Producing timely, accurate & insightful monthly financial results and maintain an effective control environment.
As the Head of General Ledger, you will also be responsible for Group VAT and assist with the consolidation, statutory reporting and other projects as required.
Market leading automotive retailer with a presence throughout the UK and Ireland and owned by a multinational company.
Key responsibilities include:
- Manage, coach and support the GL Team to ensure:
-Technical accounting knowledge (FRS102 & IFRS) is up to date.
-Controls under 52-109 (Canadian SOX) are in place, effective & timely.
- Manage the PAGL month end close (WD4) & review with the GFC & CFO incl stock valuation, working capital balance carrying values and margin analysis.
- Manage the PAG Holdings Month End reporting and detailed analyses for review with GFC (WD1).
- Timely evidenced review of monthly Balance Sheet reconciliations which will be subject to review by Internal Audit on a quarterly basis.
- Review and evidence validation of ALL manual GL journals. Maintain the Journal File and ensure all journals have back-up evidence to support the entry.
- Preparing/reviewing and submission of the Group VAT return.
- Assist with the monthly consolidation sent to Group (Canada).
- Preparation and submission of the Statutory Accounts for all Group entities (active and dormant).
- To review, propose and implement changes to the month end and in month accounting processes to improve accuracy and efficiency of the GL Team and their interaction with other teams.
- Manage the development/enhancement of reports & MI to summarise data for review and interrogate large or unusual movements whilst identifying the underlying drivers
- To understand and document complex accounting and processing issues including stock, customer & supplier rebates.
- Involvement in budget and forecast preparations
- Develop an effective working relationship with peers in Treasury, Accounts Payable & Accounts Receivable and controllers at other business units
The ideal candidate will beACA/ACCA qualified with severalyears' experience in industry, preferably within aPLC/Group environment and would ideally have:
Full understanding of & articulate with double entry to explain accounting concepts
- Knowledge of FRS 102 & IFRS
- Experience of managing a team through month end, close to tight deadlines
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Excel to manage, manipulate and analyse large volumes of data
- Able to review and understand complex spreadsheets to ensure completeness and accuracy of the result and data set
- Experience of accounting & stock management systems
- Energetic with a "can do" attitude and solution driven approach
- Able to operate effectively under pressure with an organised approach to meet multiple competing deadlines
- Knowledge of MAM, Zero and PACE (SAP) is desirable
The full time, permanent position offers a competetive salary and benefits including:
- Online employee discount scheme including big discounts to local cinemas, theme park attractions, major retailers and much more
- Healthcare cash plan
- Company pension
- Internal Development Programmes